Saturday, June 9, 2012

Home Studio Recording Log June 4-8 2012

An entire week of music work consumed by the remake of "Your Idiot Son."

Four hours on Monday(and two on Tuesday) spent on a new MIDI drum track. The originial 1994 cassette recording featured a rhythmn preset, so I made up a new drum blueprint from scratch. 
This song is long and full of challenges, so considerable effort was involved. In this case, it was good to have laid down a dummy acoustic guitar track first (alongside click and melody). Having done that, I listened closely to where changes in guitar rhythmn and feel occur and worked with those in creating the drum track. This worked really well I think.

A lot of last week's guitar worked out with the drum track, but enough didn't that I  obviously needed to start over with my trusty mid-70's Yamaha. Much better performances, though I like the sound of last Friday's tracks better. Well...sound is easier to change than performance.

I made some edits to the new main acoustic guitar track (fewer than 10 I'd say in a five plus minute song...very good for me). Then, I used the idea from last week of putting a capo on five and playing the ending. This worked pretty well, though I had trouble deciding how to end with the other track, since the neck joins the body. The capo track (which now sounds a little out of pocket to me), piano, main acoustic guitar and drums really flesh out the end.

Listening to the '94 version again, I decided I had to add toms. I had only a floor tom and very flat sounding snare back in those days. In order to accurately hear which notes were being played on drums I had to get rid of all the bottom end and stand in the hallway and tap out the part on my hand. I think I got it. Then...using the "rock mono" kit on the Motif I recorded (ultimately) two seperate toms parts. In reality, these can be played by one drummer of course, but it sounded better to keep them as separate tracks.

On Friday morning I made sure of where the fancier bass part and harmony vocals begin and realized I needed to cut a few measures of the toms tracks. Much better. I recorded them as audio and began practicing the bass line, which I ran through Thursday afternoon.

Finally, on Friday I decided to use my late 70's vintage Peavey guitar amp to record my Fender bass. I don't have a bass amp and I'm tired of the direct box sound. I think I got a decent sound from the amp, but have to watch out for cabinet buzz, which I'm afraid will pick up. Will get back to bass recording Monday. Then....on to vocals.

No comments:

Post a Comment